Michelin Star Pumpkin Tips with Steve Smith
Autumn has arrived and we are welcoming the change of season here The Sloaney HQ. As the leaves start to turn different shades of orange and the nights draw in, we are organising our wardrobes so we can access layers and scarves easily. Autumn is a lovely time of year and there is much excitement ahead with Bonfire Night and Christmas on the horizon. However, before that comes Halloween and pumpkin season!
Today, Steve Smith, Head Chef at Bohemia is sharing some tips with our readers about how to make the most of the produce of this seasonal plant. Steve is a decorated chef and Bohemia is the only restaurant in the Channel Islands to be listed in The Sunday Times Top 100 Restaurants.
Steve Smith’s Michelin Star Pumpkin Tips…
- Pumpkin Pie – If we can thank Americans for introducing us to a dessert, it’s Pumpkin Pie. Pumpkin Pie makes a delectable autumn treat and is served best with a dollop of fresh cream on top. For optimum results, spend an extra hour in the kitchen making your own crust – it will be worth it!
- Pumpkin Pancakes – Ditch the usual pancakes in favour of the pumpkin variety. Simply puree a cup of pumpkin and mix together with buttermilk along with the usual pancake ingredients to create a stack of perfectly fluffy pumpkin cakes.
- Pumpkin Curry – Combine pumpkin with chick peas and coconut for a delicious dinner for the whole family. Make this dish some time ahead of serving so that all the wonderful flavours can fully develop.
- Pumpkin Risotto – This resourceful take on risotto is a great dinner party dish. The pumpkin pieces add texture and substance to the popular rice dish, making it the ultimate autumn comfort food to enjoy on a cosy winter night.
- Pumpkin Loaf – This healthy snack is the perfect alternative to a carb-heavy loaf cake. For those with a sweet tooth, a thick layer of cream cheese icing will take your loaf from healthy to heavenly in minutes.