Designers to watch in 2023: The most influential fashion moments from the Princess of Wales are revealed
Karen Millen has done come research looking back at the most popular fashion moments by the Princess of Wales. As the Princess of Wales celebrates her 41st birthday, we can reveal her most iconic outfits of the past year. Karen Millen, analysed Google Trends data to discover which of the dresses worn by the Princess of Wales have generated the most buzz online and can therefore be crowned the most influential.
Alexander McQueen, Tory Burch and Jenny Packham can all be credited with the top three looks. In fact, Alexander McQueen features strongly throughout the list of most popular outfits. Other popular designers are also included in the trends data, such as Roland Mouret and Stella McCartney.
Here is the full lowdown, with the designers to watch in 2023…
Kate Middleton’s black Alexander McQueen coat dress she wore to Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral took the top spot. This dress can be crowned Kate’s most influential dress of the year, as searches skyrocketed 233% above the average for the search term ‘Kate Middleton dress’. The coat dress was paired with a veiled hat, stilettos and pearl jewellery from the Queen’s collection – clearly selected to honour the late monarch – the same pearls Kate also wore to Prince Philip’s funeral.
The second most popular dress among most popular fashion moments by the Princess of Wales in 2022 was worn on the Belize visit of her and Prince William’s Caribbean tour in March, in honour of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. The summer dress, officially called ‘Painted Roses’ from American designer Tory Burch, features a floral pattern, with the blue, red and white detailing that reflects the Belize flag. The dress saw searches for ‘Kate Middleton dress’ soar a huge 203% above average.
Kate’s third most influential dress of the year is her black Jenny Packham, which caused searches to spike 173% above average. The Princess of Wales wore this simple black dress on a walkaround tribute to the Queen around Windsor Castle back in September. Kate paired the dress with pearl earrings, black heels, and black tights – an elegant but respectful look.
Kate’s fourth most popular dress of 2022 is her stunning off-the-shoulder gown she wore to the Top Gun film premiere in London, back in May. Designed by Roland Mouret, Kate styled the flattering black and white evening gown with black pumps, diamond-encrusted earrings and an Alexander McQueen black box clutch.
Following closely behind, Kate’s fifth most popular dress is her Fuchsia pink Stella McCartney she wore to the Platinum Jubilee Pageant, with searches rising 127% above average back in June. For the joyous occasion, Kate’s custom dress featured a mid-length skirt, padded shoulders and long puffy/bishop sleeves, which she paired with statement earrings.
In sixth place is Kate’s pink RIXO dress worn on the last day of the Caribbean tour, which caused searches to spike 110% above average. Kate’s seventh most popular dress of the year is her beaming yellow Roksanda dress worn to the Wimbledon women’s final in July, which spiked 57%.
The top ten is rounded out with Kate’s blue Alexander McQueen dress worn to the Order of the Garter ceremony in June in eighth place. Followed by her emerald green The Vampire’s Wife ‘Falconetti’ dress in ninth place, and the dresses from Kate’s official 40th birthday portraits, all by Alexander McQueen, in tenth.
The most popular fashion moments, according to analysis by Karen Millen are highlighted below:
- Black Alexander McQueen coat dress worn to Queen Elizabeth’s funeral (September 19th)
- Blue Tory Burch dress worn on the Belize visit of the Caribbean tour (March 20th)
- Black Jenny Packham dress worn on Windsor Castle walkaround tribute to the Queen (September 10th)
- Black with white detail Roland Mouret dress worn to the Top Gun film premiere in London (May 19th)
- Fushia pink Stella McCartney worn to the Platinum Jubilee Pageant (June 5th)
- Pink RIXO dress worn on the last day of the Caribbean tour (March 26th)
- Yellow Roksanda dress worn to the Wimbledon ladies final (July 10th)
- Blue Alexander McQueen dress worn to the Order of the Garter ceremony (June 13th)
- Emerald green The Vampire’s Wife ‘Falconetti’ dress, worn in the first official portrait of the former Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (June 23rd)
- Kate’s 40th birthday official portraits; 3 dresses worn all by Alexander McQueen (January 9th)
Next Up: British Social Season dates for 2023 announced – The Sloaney